Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Belong(A Home For Christmas)

Dr. Mike Murphy

December 20, 2022






“Where you are takes you one step closer to where you are suppose to be.”

So many times growing up he had heard his grandfather speak those words.  Words spoken so often, they were etched in his very thoughts.  And in just a few more days, he just knew his grandfather’s words were about to came alive.
As he sat in the sanctuary of the small church that Christmas Eve night, he could not help but look forward.  To a time in just ten days from now, where he would soon find himself sitting in the sanctuary of a much bigger church.  He had served as the pastor of the small church for over three years, and he had enjoyed the time he had been there. Memories of the small church would be with him forever, and several of those in the church would be friends that he would always hold dear.  In those three years, he had seen the church grow. Not in overwhelming numbers, but a growth that had brought stability to the church, and new faces to the congregation.  But his desire was for so much more than he thought he could ever find in this church, a destiny to speak to thousands, not just to a faithful few.  So as he sat in the sanctuary that night, and looked around the small church, his grandfather’s words filled his mind once again.  And in just ten days, he knew he would be one step closer.
It had been tradition for the church to open up the sanctuary to the public on Christmas Eve, for all to come by and say a prayer before travelling or gathering with family on Christmas Day.  A time for all to reflect on Christ, and to thank Him for all His birth had brought to each of their lives.  But as he looked out at the sanctuary that night, it was only a couple of faces he could see.  Soon, only one face was left, Jim Norris, a man who had started coming to the small church with his family a little over a year ago, but a man who had probably not spoke more than a handful of words to him in the past year.  Being alone now with Jim, he made his way over, and sat down on the pew next to him.  For what seemed like an eternity, he sat in silence next to him, before he began to hear Jim start to speak.
“I came alone tonight pastor, because I wanted to let the Lord know this Christmas all I have to be thankful for.  And I wanted the chance to also thank you, and to let you know what you have done for my family.”  He was surprised by the words of Jim, but smiled as Jim continued.  “You see, when we began coming to this church, I was not sure I would even have a family much longer.  I had just recently lost my job before we visited the church that first Sunday.  We were in desperate financial need.  My wife had all but given up, and was ready to take the kids and move back to her parents house out of state.  I could not have blamed her if she did, all we seemed to do was argue.  And each day I watched as the kids grew distant, as both our anger and frustrations became greater.”
“I am really not sure what brought us here that first Sunday, all I can think of is that God did.  But from the first minute He did lead us here, my life began to change.  You were so welcoming in greeting us that first Sunday, and every one here made us feel right at home.  Many in this little town knew we were struggling, that was no surprise to anyone who saw us that Sunday.  But all those that Sunday talked to us like family, not like the outcast we felt like we had become.  I still remember the sermon you gave, you spoke on Matthew 25:40, telling us that there were no “least” with Christ.  I did not understand why, but those words stuck with me.  And it seemed like all week long, we would come home to find where someone had left food at our door, or clothes for the kids. The next week, you preached on John 13:34, telling what it meant for us to love one another as Christ loves us.  Those words also stuck with me, and made me think if I was showing my family and others that love, as i had become so bitter because of all I had lost.  That week, the Lord really amazed me, I got three offers for a new job.  Later I learned that two of those had created a job just to help me and my family.”
“As the year went by, I watched my life change, and I watched my family change also.  My wife and I begin to remember why we had fallen in love so many years ago.  And the more we remembered, the more we watched as our children began to smile again, and we could hear the joy return to their voice. Each week your sermons spoke to me, pastor. And as the year went on, I found myself pulling out my Bible more and more, going back and reading each verse you talked about.  And soon, I found our whole family talking about what we had heard on Sunday, and the kids talking to us about what they had learned in Sunday School.  In this past year pastor, I cannot begin to tell you how much the life of my whole family has changed, and we have come to realize that we are a part of a bigger family.  We are part of the family of Christ.”
“I came by tonight to do more than just pray pastor, I was hoping to get a chance to talk to you.  Over this past year, my wife and I have accepted Christ into our life, and I was hoping that this Sunday, before you left, you would baptize all of us, and help us to join the church.”
No matter how hard he tried, he could not speak.  He could not find a single word to answer Jim back.  No word seemed enough, no sentence could express to Jim the way he felt.  All he could think to do was to reach out and hug Jim, to put his arms around him as tight as he could.  And as he felt the arms of Jim around him also, he realized at that moment just how wrong the words of his grandfather had been.  Each of his steps had led him to this moment, showing him that where Christ needs us, is exactly where we belong. He now knew what his future would hold, and what his next phone call had to be.  He would have to tell the larger church that he had reconsidered, because right there, in that small church, was where Christ needed him most.  Right there is where he belonged, right there is where he would call home.  And soon he began to realize, that from the quietness of that small sanctuary, just what an amazing gift God had given him that Christmas Eve.  A home. Because where Christ is, is where his home would always be.
This Christmas, let Christ give you the greatest of gifts.  Let Him show you that wherever He is, is exactly where you will always call home.  And as you open that gift, I pray you also open your heart, letting Him show you that in His arms is right where you belong.


Praying you are right where you belong this Christmas!